Saturday, January 19, 2019

Graduation Day

Graduation Day 1975

Despite all the evidence, the cap and gown, the ceremonies and diplomas, at what point do we truly graduate into adulthood? At what point do they tell you, "Sorry, gal, but as of today, you're a grown up. There's no turning back now, baby cakes. It's official. You're welcome, the Management." No matter the big girl responsibilities, nothing made me feel more like an adult than when my mom died. In 1999, she went off to the Big Beauty Shop In The Sky. I was only 42. Losing her kicked me into a kind of grownup grief I thought I'd never recover from. But I did. I had no choice. I had someone new to keep tabs on. My dad. Five years ago today, he went off to the Big Deli In The Sky, located, God willing, next to the Big Beauty Shop. After he died, I felt like an orphan for a while. I offered myself up for adoption. No takers. But that's okay. I'm not taking it personally anymore. I'm taking in all the love I can, all the fun and the laughter. I'm doing my best to honor my folks. Who knows where people really go when they graduate for the last time. No one knows, that's who. But here's hoping they get to hang out in their favorite places, reunite with their favorite people and have a blast for eternity. Wouldn't that be nice? I'd like to think so. 
"The idea that I could take a blank page and create something, sell it, and down the line it becomes a production and my friends get hired and people laugh or cry, what's more terrific than that, besides love and friendship?" -- Ben Starr, 1921-2014

4 comments:

  1. That means, dear SJG, that I've been enjoying your various musings for 5 years. I first read the lovely piece you wrote about your Dad in the L.A. Times. What a blessing to have had that lovely man in your life, you have shared him with all your readers, I think we'd have loved him too. Be well. Brighton Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brighton Gal!! I so appreciate your support all these years xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the lyrics to "The Place Where Lost Things Go" from the new Mary Poppins Returns movie. "Things" can be loved ones, too..Sister P.

    ReplyDelete