Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Ladies & Jellybeans

Early this morning, for no reason whatso, the first line of a silly schoolyard poem popped up in my keppy: "Ladies and Jellybeans..." After that, nothing. Then, a few minutes later, this: "Pull up a seat and sit on the floor." Well, it's been driving me crazy since  6 a.m., so I had to search out the rest. I just had to! Of course, like so much in life, there are many versions, at least 20. Some start with Jellybeans, some with Jellyspoons, others with Gentlespoons. Naturally, I picked the version I like best, because I make all the executive decisions over here at SJG INC. The last time I tried to recite this ridiculata was in junior high. So, nice people, travel with me, if you will, back to the land of Puberty and Awkwardian Behavior, and enjoy this snippet of frivolity. It goes a little dark, but then, what doesn't?
Ladies and Jellybeans
I come before you, to stand behind you
To tell you a story I know nothing about.
Next Thursday, which is Good Friday,
There will be a girls meeting for boys only.
Admission is free, so pay at the door.
Pull up a seat and sit on the floor.
One bright day, in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came to kill the two dead boys.
And if you don't believe my story's true,
Just ask the blind man, he saw it, too.

2 comments:

  1. Any idea who wrote the poem or when? There must be a Swiftian political angle in the lines, or perhaps I am Trumped to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I did, and how wonderful to hear from you. It's anonymous; an old nursery rhyme that has been adapted a million different ways. But it's so dark! And that's why I love it. xo

    ReplyDelete