Monday, August 6, 2018

Facts of Real Life

Mrs. Garrett, beloved housekeeper 

Last week was all about "Facts of Life." First came the news that the show might get a TV reboot, inspiring a flurry of texts from family and close friends. Why the commotion? I'm so glad you asked. My sweet daddy created the role of Mrs. Garrett on "Diff'rent Strokes," and as a result, gets a "developed by" credit on its spin-off "Facts of Life."
Mrs. Garrett, beloved housemother 

And then came yesterday's news that Charlotte Rae had passed away at the age of 92. I'm not sure if my dad ever talked about where he got the inspiration for the funny, no-nonsense, tough yet tender character, but over in a little town called Westwood, we knew she was based on his old friend, writer-producer Lila Garrett.
Lila Garrett, funny, no-nonsense writer-producer 

I don't remember meeting Charlotte Rae. When longtime hubby and I took Grandma Shorty to see a taping of "Diff'rent Strokes" in the early '80s, to meet her idol Gary Coleman, Mrs. Garrett had already left for "Facts of Life." But I clearly remember Lila Garrett. She danced at our wedding and I interviewed her at Nat n' Als for EMMY magazine. We'd just moved to the Valley and I hadn't allowed enough time to schlep over the hill. I arrived about 15 minutes late. "I'm so sorry," I said, at least twice. "Stop apologizing," she said, "and order something." So today, I'm thinking of my daddy and the part he played in all of this sitcom trivia, and Charlotte Rae, a strong-willed, gifted actress who sometimes drove him crazy, may she rest in peace. And Lila Garrett, still kicking butt at 92 as a progressive radio host of "Connect The Dots" on KPFK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment