Thursday, August 8, 2019

Channeling Babs

It's not often that the SJG hears longtime hubby channeling Babs. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I've never heard him channeling Babs. It's not that he's anti-Streisand, per se, which would the ultimate shanda, in my opinion. It's just that he's more of a Steely Dan kinda guy. If this morning, I'd heard him singing, "Are you reelin' in the years? Stowin' away the time?" I wouldn't have gone into shock and needed a hunky paramedic to give me a jumpstart. But when he climbed in the car and broke into "People," I thought a dashing extraterrestrial who adored musical theater had snatched his soul in a midnight raid. And yet, a few seconds into his rather lovely rendition, I noticed he'd changed the lyrics without permission from ASCAP.  It went something like this:
"People! People who don't need people...
are the luckiest people that I know." 


"Hang on a second there, mister," I said, "that's not how it goes." Then it hit me like a frozen brick of halvah. The eldest son, catching a ride to the metro station, had just asked him how yesterday's day-long work retreat had gone. Suddenly, "People! People who don't need people" made sense. He was so happy not to spend today surrounded by humans on all sides, he simply had to express it in song.
Just between us, I prefer this version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment