Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Just Had This Schmatta Washen

Badminton anyone?


Or would you prefer chess?
In honor of George Coe, who passed away the other day, I present his Academy Award-nominated short film, "De Düva: The Dove" (1968):  My favorite of all time, it parodies Ingmar Bergman's "Wild Strawberries"  and "The Seventh Seal." The Swedish-ka sounding dialogue combines English, German, Latin and Yiddish.  The principal character, Professor Viktor Sundqvist, 76, is on his way to a lecture at the university, when de duva strikes, splattering the windshield and unleashing a few twisted memories. Could Death be far behind?  It's 13 minutes, but worth it. Has the SJG ever steered you wrong?  Look for a young Madeline Kahn smoking her cigar at a picnic, as she makes an unusual offer to Inga, Viktor's sister: "Phallican symbol?"  Inga prefers Viktor. Double click for full screen.  You're in for a treat.

3 comments:

  1. I loved The Seventh Seal when I was a student. I'm not much good at chess myself, of course. When I eventually meet death, I'm thinking of challenging him at Monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny parody. Still think I'll stick to Monopoly, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking a Disco Inferno challenge. I think I could take it.

    ReplyDelete