Monday, July 13, 2015

A Vague Sense of Unease

A lovely discovery: Carnaby Street, around the corner from our swanky-swank hotel. We felt ever-so mod schlepping here, there and everywhere. (Sly Beatles reference.)

Liberty House

At Liberty House, I inadvertently invented a new word whilst admiring the jewelry. "It's all so delicant." Delicate + elegant. Feel free to use it, as long as you give the SJG credit.

In the novelty section, I found a spooky collection of hard candies that accurately sums up what makes the SJG tick: Creeping Dread. A Vague Sense of Unease. Escalating Panic. I ordered up a lifetime supply, just in case I run out.

The very posh Criterion Restaurant, where we dined with best-selling novelist Kerry Fisher and her charming husband Steve. Kerry and I met online years ago in a UCLA Extension novel-writing class, taught by the wonderful Robert Eversz. Kerry went on to publish two novels. I went on to... er... um... do other things. What things? Oh, you know. This and that. 

The hilarious Kerry taught us a new word she invented, a word we fully plan to bring back to America (and pay her royalties to use): Assholian. As in, "He was acting terribly assholian." Now listen, you. If you haven't read Kerry's books, "The School Gate Survival Guide" or just-released "The Island Escape," you seriously need to have your head re-examined. 

3 comments:

  1. Mind if I borrow that word too? Strikes me it might be useful at times. (For example, I made a mistake with my first version of this comment. How terribly assholian.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found it…looked yesterday but must have been too hungover to spot it…wonder why, eh? Eh? We say arseholian…of course…but you are welcome to ass away! It's a great word. And it was positively wonderful to be with you and your lovely family, Carol. We'll come and darken your door soon in LA xx

    ReplyDelete