Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Planned Dessert

When the SJG was growing up in a quaint little town called Westwood, we ate dinner at exactly 6 o'clock.  The whole family was present.  How my dad, the one, the only Ben Starr, made it home in time for dinner, I have no idea, but he was always there.  Dinner was a well-planned meal.  Baked chicken. Artichokes.  Melted butter.  My mom was a great cook.  One of her favorite dishes:  Pork chops and apple sauce. What we were doing eating pork, I can't tell you.  My dad even worked this non-kosher dinner into a "Brady Bunch" episode he wrote.  Peter Brady, in search of a personality, takes on the persona of Humphrey Bogart, and says, "Pork chops and applesauce" like Bogie.  An instant classic.
Dessert was also a big event.  Nightly, my brother John would ask, "Is there a planned dessert?"  The answer, for the most part, was yes. Chocolate Whip n' Chill.  Broiled grapefruit.  A nice cake.  Something altogether delish. Occasionally, it was a grab-a-cookie, fend-for-yourself situation.  But not often.  An unplanned dessert was a letdown. Fast forward to the house of the SJG, where every dessert is unplanned, every meal is a last-minute decision.  If I ask the current tenants what they want for dinner, they say, "Whatever's easiest," which helps me how? Not much.  Maybe tonight, I'll make more of an effort.  Then again, I could just throw together a salad.  I'm not sure how my mother pulled dinner together, so magnificently, night after night.  If only she were here to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment