Friday, March 21, 2014

For Whom The Bell Tolls

It tolls for Gary and Ingrid and the SJG
Some days I sit here, all sleepy-faced and droopy-eyed, not my best look, I admit, and stare at my laptop.  I wait for inspiration to spring out of the keyboard.  It doesn't always happen.  Some days, I just make up the most random stuff.  Hang on.  I've just handed you the secret of the SJG Creative Process.  How reckless of me.  Pretend I never told you that last bit.  Thank you.  Anyway, moments ago, I did just that.  I sat here in bed -- what, you thought I write this silliness standing on my head? -- and just as I asked myself what the eff I should write about, a bell went off. I'm serious.  At first, I thought I'd developed a sudden attack of tinnitus. Then I realized the bell wasn't coming from my ear canal, or anywhere in my keppy, and for that, I was so grateful.

The bell continued to ring, ring, ring.  I looked at the TV.  Maybe the bell was coming from the TV.  I got out of bed, reluctantly, for I was so freakin' comfy, and approached the flatscreen that brings me such joy. "Are you ringing?" I asked. Thanks to my college degree, I quickly concluded that the bell wasn't coming from the TV. At this point, I expected hubby to come charging in and solve "The Mystery of the Ringing Bell."  I think I read that Nancy Drew book.  Loved it.  A las, hubby didn't charge in.  For whom was this bell tolling? For me, that's whom, er, who.  How Hemingway-ish of said bell.

An hour into the ringing, okay, it was more like 30 seconds, I found the source.  The ringing was coming from the bathroom. Uh-oh.  Maybe a pipe was about to burst, a situation that I guarantee hubby would deem "catastrophic." I started to back out of the bathroom -- I don't like to be in the vicinity of any catastrophe, household or otherwise -- when at last I realized that the stupid alarm on my ancient Sharper Image CD/radio combo thingie, parked on the counter near my vast supply of age-defying makeup, was going off for no reason at all.  I hit the off button -- I wish I had an off button myself -- and got back into bed.  I think I've done enough today.  Good night.  See you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment