Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fresh Cream? Shut Up!

You get fresh cream here? Shut up!

Turns out, shlepping across an entire airport to catch a connecting flight to Kansas City isn't as much fun as I expected. And yet, it was highly aerobic. Silly me, I thought I'd have a little extra time to visit the gal's room and maybe buy a quick nosh. I was feeling so confident, I even texted Cathy, the original Boomer Girl, my plans. "I'm in Phoenix!" Insert all sorts of emoticons that express my glee: Happy face. Hearts. Kisses. Clapping Hands. "I'm going to get a snack." Then I saw the long-ass line getting ready to board. "No, I'm not." Insert all sorts of angry emoticons. Mean face. Thumbs down. A parade of WTF's symbols. I really need to get a handle on this temper. So into the line I went, along with my fellow travelers, and boarded the flight to Kansas City. And what a flight it was, full of the most interesting folks. A whole big group going to Boston to catch a cruise ship up the New England coast to watch the leaves change. "A cruise?" I asked again, thinking I heard wrong. A leaf-watching cruise? Sign me up. Now please, unsign me. That was a mistake. I'm not going on any cruise, leaf-watching or otherwise. Can I still get a refund? Well-bred lil bitch that I am, I wished them all a fabulous time without me.

Fast forward to my arrival in the home of the Kansas City Royals. Yes, they've made the play-offs for the first time since... forever. Very big deal in these parts. No sooner had Cathy and I arrived home, with bags full of barbecue from Arthur Bryant's, than I was strapped in and forced to watch almost an entire game. "Hey," I protested, "I just spent many hours strapped into an airplane seat. And now this?" No response. "Who knew sofas came with seat belts. I feel surprisingly secure. When does the unfasten the seat belt sign go on? Just give me a hint. I need to wee-wee. Three hours? Four? Baseball games are so freakin' long. Hello?"

Good thing the Royals won. I was rewarded with a trip to the local brewery and fresh cream for my coffee this morning. Things are looking up in Lawrence, Kansas. And the accommodations, aside front that oddly-equipped sofa, are top notch. Three bagels on the SJG Judgmental Scale. I think I'll stay a while. Unless I get booted for bad behavior. That's always a possibility.

2 comments:

  1. How long you here, SJG? Or there, I should say. I'm sampling all of California's Farmers Markets. You will be shocked to learn that down on the plains, we don't grow no pluots. Hell, we never heard of 'em. Verdict? The Calabasas Farmers Market. Hands down. Try it. xxoo, Another SJG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here till Tuesday, then I'm back to Sherman Oaks. I've never heard of a pluot. What the hell is that?

    ReplyDelete