Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Spell Check for Jews

It takes chutzpah to spell chootspah phonetically.

I'm sending spell check back to school to learn a bisl Yiddish. When it comes to Jews, spell check should be ashamed. Spell check can't spell for kaka. I'm sorry to say it, but spell check caters to goyim. Spell check wouldn't know the correct way to spell matzo if its life depended on it. But then, the SJG doesn't know how to spell it, either. Is it matzo, matzoh, matzah or matza? Don't get me started on Hanukkah. All spell check knows how to do is highlight what it doesn't know, which is plenty. Any time I use the words of my people, spell check goes meshugana. It scolds, it berates, it kvetches. And yet, it doesn't correct. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Say it again. Spell check, you disappoint me. I'm not saying you have to convert. That's too much to ask someone of your stature. But could you at least do your homework? Could you study up on your vocabulary? Do it for the SJG. Do it for Jews everywhere. Would it be so terrible to learn how to spell afikomen? Personally, I'd kvell like there's no tomorrow. But I won't hold my breath, spell check. I know how touchy you can get. Takes one to know one, eh, bubela? Or it is bubbeleh? Why do I even bother asking? Spell check doesn't have a clue. (4-20-11)

2 comments:

  1. So if you wrote this blog posting in 2011, you'd think progress would have been made. Maybe give up on Spellcheck and create a spell checking app for frequently used foreign words and phrases. Call it SpelLiterate.

    ReplyDelete