Monday, May 27, 2019

Catch-22: Watch/Don't Watch

Just in time for Memorial Day, Hulu gives us George Clooney's six-part "Catch-22," based on Joseph Heller's darkly comedic WWII tale of a bombardier who tries everything to get out of flying dangerous missions by claiming insanity, but the request itself shows he's sane, so they just keep upping his missions. Or something along those lines. My daddy, the one and only Ben Starr, was a WWII navigator and performed elaborate rain dances to get out of flying dangerous missions over Nazi Germany. You see the tie-in. So I figured I'd watch George's mini-series and imagine discussing it with my daddy. Plus, longtime hubby loves war movies. Give the man a war movie and he's near-giddy. First, his review after two episodes: "It's good, not great." He claims he's going to keep watching it. Now, my review: "Major Major Snoozeville." Which brings us to my personal "Catch-22." Do I keep watching "Catch-22" with my first husband, even though it's not very good and I can't tell the characters apart, but it's something we can watch/sleep through together and maybe my daddy would've like it, anyway? Or, do I stop watching it because it isn't very good and why waste time I'll never get back, and let my first husband fill me in on what I missed, assuming he can stay awake during the remainder of this sleep-inducing mini-series? Not that my "Catch-22" should stop you from watching "Catch-22." Go and ahead, binge the whole thing. Or don't. These are the tough viewing choices we all face in a world of too many viewing choices. Either way, I salute you and wish you a nice Memorial Day. I plan to spend it thinking of my brave and fearless father.

No comments:

Post a Comment