Friday, May 10, 2019

My Mug Shot

At last, a mug big enough to suit my caffeine needs; a gift from Amy Smallman-Winston, a fabulous cast member of "Brushes" who watched in horror astonishment as I transitioned, over the the course of several months, from co-playwright/cast-caterer/cheapo prop finder in rehearsals, to full-on Girl Boss.
Or if you prefer, Head Bitch In Charge. "You were really angry at those video guys," Amy said to me last night at the cast party. "Not angry, Amy," I insisted. "Assertive." Well, it's true, I was bossing the camera dudes around a bit, ordering them not to do really dumb ass things. I was out of my comfort zone and it felt so good. "Tell me you're not planning to sit on top of the chair while recording the show," I said to the tall one, with just a pinch of panic and a nice spoonful of venom. "Yup," the camera dude said. "I'll get the best view of the stage." "So, yeah, that's not happening." "Huh?" "You're not sitting there. You'll block everyone's view." "Yeah, but..." "This is closing night. We'd like the audience to be able to see." With that, I walked away, all diva-like, my Met Gala ball gown swishing behind me. What? Sometimes I overdress. Backstage, Amy took my hand. "It's going to be okay. Here at the Bad Hair Days Inn, we've seen everything." She was rehearsing a scene, but still, she gets me. And guess what? It was okay. It was more than okay. But if I hadn't played the Girl Boss card, who knows what sort of pandemonium might've gone down at the Whitefire. Call it anger, call it assertiveness, call it head bitchiness. I did what I had to do. Sure, I'll miss bossing folks around. I really will. Oh wait, I can still boss Sir Blakey around. "Hey, you, stop with the barking." Not that he listens to me. Over at the SJG Palatial Estate, it's hard to get a word in sometimes. I may have to flash my mug shot more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment