Friday, May 28, 2010

Onward!


I'm over it now.  I'm okay with it.  I gave it a day.  I pouted some.  I milked it.  I commiserated with my friends.  We asked each other:  Why?  Why didn't she win?  In the end, it comes down to this: Crystal's fanbase skews older than Lee's.  Much older.  As a group, we're not great at text-messaging and calling in. Voting-wise, we're remiss.  Still.  We know what we like, and we like Crystal. 

She's a throwback to the 60s.  She's retro.  She's current.  She's all that and more.  She's Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Melissa E. She's Alanis, Patty Griffin and Joss Stone.  Give her a mic, and no matter the size of the venue, she's a natural.  At ease on stage.  Zen-like.  Unpretentious.  Unwilling to compromise.  In other words:  not terribly commercial.  And now she's on her own.  Boyfriend Tony is ex-boyfriend Tony.  Took the midnight train to Toledo.  Didn't like the lifestyle, the fast-paced Hollywood vibe.  He's a small town boy.  Maybe they'll find their way back to each other.  Maybe not.  But as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.  As my dad likes to say:  Onward!  I've got bigger issues, people.  A tux to rent for the youngest.  A trip north to Santa Cruz.  Two graduations to cry my way through.  And "Sex and The City 2."

No comments:

Post a Comment