Sunday, August 21, 2011

Let's Go Back Way Back When

The Help:  Sassy Southern Gals
My copy of "The Help" sat on my nightstand forever.   I kept meaning to read it.  I kept hearing all the raves.  And then I thought it would never live up to all the hype.  So I read other books.  Stubborn SJG.  Many other books.  "The Help" kept staring me down, as if to say, "Get over yourself and read me."  "I'll read you before the movie comes out, promise."  Last week, the movie came out and I still hadn't read it.  So I read it in a week.  At first, I resisted its charms.  I called up Carla and kvetched a bit.  "It's taking too long to get into," I said.  "I'm not sure I buy the whole set-up."  Carla was patient with me.  She told me to keep reading.  I kept going and I was hooked.  On Friday, I finished it.  On Saturday, we went to see the movie.  Every plot point was freshly-embedded in my keppie.  I loved the movie maybe even more than the book.   It's moving and funny.  I laughed, I cried, I emoted.  A typical Saturday for the SJG.

5 comments:

  1. SJG, I did the EXACT same thing: Bought the book, tried to get into it, wasn't digging it, put it away. You've inspired me to pick it up again, or should I see the movie first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You emoted. So very funny Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I think you can just see the movie, and then get back to the book, if you want, for more character depth, etc. It's a loooooong book. The movie really streamlines the story. The main performances are incredible, especially Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Now I don't feel like a slacker. I got the book on my Kindle, months ago and planned on reading it and still haven't. Decided yesterday to just see the movie. It's cheating I know, but a good movie is hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't tell, Tary. I hope you liked it.

    ReplyDelete