Friday, March 9, 2012

Are You My Mother?

What's that I hear at the window?  Hang on.  I think I remember it.  No tap, tap, smash.  Could it be?  Silence. The lil' birdy that drove me ape-sh*t for two days has gone bye bye.  Except I think he'll be back any second now.  I'm just getting a temporary reprieve.  Hubby already warned me that the lil' birdy made a guest appearance at the window, 'round 6 a.m., then left.  So, naturally, he'll be back.  He wants me to re-read "Are You My Mother?"  I did my best to convince him I wasn't his mother, that I'd already given birth to two humans and one feisty canine, and if I'd delivered a bird, I told him, I was pretty sure I'd remember it.  God knows, I'm happy to feed my loved ones, a slice of kugel, a nice chicken, a cup of kibble, but I draw the line at worms.

She's your mother! 
"Listen, Birdy," I said yesterday, during story time, "I'm not your mother.  In fact, I have it on good authority that your mother is looking for you, and she's getting more frantic by the minute."  The birdy gave me a look that said, "So far, the cow's not my mother.  Fine.  The dog's not my mother.  The cat's not my mother.  I get it.  I'm not a complete idiot.  But what about you, are you my mother?"  "For the 10th time, no, I'm not your mother.  What more do I have to do to convince you?"  "Keep reading."

4 comments:

  1. We have an antique stained glass window facing our back yard that features four finches. When the sun flows through the skylight and backlights the glass, the painted finches become lighthouse beacons that attract a Hitchcokian or Poe-ish assault. To protect the window glass, we installed a lexan window on the sill about two inches outside the glass surface, so now the clattering on the glass is more muted and thumpy, and the winds don't blow through the cracks in the lead between the panes... unofortunately we used clear lexan so we are not yet able to hear the birds mutter, "Nevermore..." after being repelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, so lovely and poetic, steve. thanks for sharing! love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a clinical question here, doll: This bird isn't actually talking back to you, is it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading its bird-brain. One of my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete