Thursday, March 15, 2012

The "She" in the "She Who"

The "She" in the "She Who" is my cough, and She is driving me crazy.  Or maybe it's the crazy pills driving me crazy.  At 3 a.m., the woman staring back at me in the mirror did look a little deranged.  The "She" in the "She Who" had decided I'd slept enough and woke me up to say hello.  She was feeling lonely and needy, much like that man-eating plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" that says, "Feed me, I'm hungry."  The "She" in the "She Who" was hungry for attention, so I gave her some.  A sip of water, a nice throat lozenge.  It wasn't enough. "I'm going back to sleep now," I told her. "Oh, I think not," she said, coughing for emphasis.  "Okay, what do you want?"  "A story."  I turned on the light and read her a few chapters of a Meg Wolitzer novel called "Surrender, Dorothy."  She liked it so much, she made me keep reading.  A few more chapters and  my eye lids started to dip.  "We'll pick up where we left off in the morning."  The "She" in the "She Who" yawned and said, "Turn out the light.  Who can sleep with this thing on?" Good thing hubby was fast asleep in the other room, so he shouldn't get sick, or worse, hassled by the "She" in the "She Who."

4 comments:

  1. Cough cough
    Go away!
    Go and visit Doris Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your cough has a semblance of being civil. Mine usually just laughs at me with that insane deranged mocking laugh of his.

    ReplyDelete