Monday, March 19, 2012

Leave A Message In The Past

Cling to the past?  Moi?
The last time I changed by outgoing message was... honestly, I have no idea, but I think it's at least ten years, maybe longer.  This inaction says so much about me, I don't know where to begin, but I think I'm having a few issues letting go of the past.  Call me up, and you'll hear the following:  "Hi, you've reached Carol, Howard, Billy and Scotty."  The truth is, you've haven't reached Billy.  He doesn't live here anymore, although that doesn't stop him from eating meals and doing his laundry here.  Still, I should probably take his name off the outgoing message. I will, at some point. Don't rush me.  Oh, and chances of you reaching Scotty here aren't too great, either.  He's up in Santa Cruz.  And when he comes home, no one ever calls him at this number.  Yeah, I should probably take his name off the outgoing message, too. I will, at some point. Don't rush me.  Let me linger a while.  Let me cling. Leave a message in the past, and one of us, probably me, will get back to you.  Beep.

3 comments:

  1. Your new voice mail message could be ... "Schneider residence. Butler speaking". Beep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you're so aware. If you could only repress everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro, that is perfect. Or "You've reached Downton Abbey..." And Seattle Marge, they left out the denial gene! What can I do?!

    ReplyDelete