Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bialystock & Bloom

Too many bialys
The fridge of the SJG is always overstocked with bialys. Why is this? Why do I always have at least three packages of bialys in various stages of freshness going at once?  Here a bialy, there a bialy, everywhere a bialy-bialy.  Oh, look, gang!  There's a package of two bialys hidden behind the mayo, and over there, a package of three, keeping company with the Greek yogurt and smushy avocado I should definitely throw out soon.  The question remains:  Why can't I just finish one package of bialys before purchasing another one?  Am I worried I might find myself bialy-free?  Well, I'm a loss to explain it, I truly am, but I can tell you this much.  It's physically, not to mention spiritually, impossible for me not to slice and toast and eat a nice bialy without quoting Ula in "The Producers." I must say, "Bialystock & Bloom, God dag på dig," each and every time, or I fear the universe will spontaneously combust, and we can't have that, can we? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not even certain what a bialy is, but I walk around with that line from "The Producers" in my head more frequently than I really care to admit! Perhaps I should cuddle up with my blue blanket, while I figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what a bialy is either but I can relate to the squishy avocado...I hate to throw food out and generally try and make the kids eat stuff I wouldn't touch myself...Cruella, that's me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gals are making me smile, big time. I should never assume that everyone on the planet is familiar with a bialy, but it's a super thin bagel-related item popular with mine people. They are crunchy, hard to slice and delish when toasted. Since both you gals are in England, see if you can find a bialy!

    ReplyDelete