Thursday, April 11, 2013

Girl Detective

"Daddy, I think I remember another time Mom wore the Flop Dress.  It came to me last night.  Peter's Bar Mitzvah!  The big party... where was it?" "The Beverly Hills Hotel."  "Can you get out the photo album and check?"  "Where is it?" "In the den... on the big glass thingie."  "I'm walking into the den.  I'm walking.  I'm in the den."  "Okay, look on the bottom shelf."  "I'm looking.  I see books."  "Look on the far left.  There's a big stack of photo albums."  "There is?"  "Only since 1977."  "Nobody likes a smart ass."  "Did you find it?"  "I see the little ones, the black and white shots of the three of you.  Cute kids.  Look at you, with the toy iron." "That's the last time I used an iron."  "I don't see Peter's Bar Mitzvah.  Or John's."  "It's there, Daddy.  Keep looking."  "Oh, wait, here's something.  It says Bar on the side.  It's not a little album."  "I didn't say it was a little album."  "Peter's Bar Mitzvah."  "Yay!  You found it."

"Okay, so now what am I supposed to do?"  "Open it."  "I'm opening it.  Oh, look, there's Grammy."  "Are you looking at the service?"  "Yep."  "We don't care about that.  Keep going... to the party."  "Look at that.  What a handsome fella I was."  "You still are."  "That was some party."  "Daddy, have you found Mom yet?"  "Here she is."  "What's she wearing?"  "A very pretty gown.  She looks great.  She always looked great."  "Tell me about the dress."  "It's white and sleeveless."  "That's the Flop Dress!  I knew it."  "No way."  "What?  Why not?"  "Mom never would've worn that to a play.  It's too fancy."  "Of course she would've worn it.  It was opening night of your big Broadway play.  Don't you remember?"

"All I remember is pacing back and forth in the back of the theater."  "Where you in a tuxedo?"  "No way."  "Was there a big party after the opening?"  "Probably." "So that's why Mom would've been all dressed up, right?"  "I don't remember."  "Daddy!"  "It was a long time ago."  "I know, but, listen, it was the 60's right?"  "Yep." "Was 'The Family Way' on Broadway after you were on 'Mr. Ed.'?"  "That sounds right."  "And when was Peter's Bar Mitzvah?"  "1965."  "Okay, so it was just a few years between the play on Broadway and Peter's Bar Mitzvah, right?"  "If you say so."  "Daddy!"  "If I say yes, do I get to hang up soon?"  "You're missing the point!  Mom wore the Flop Dress one more time to Peter's Bar Mitzvah.  Case closed."  "Nice work, Detective.  Can I hang up now?"  "Not if I hang up first."

2 comments:

  1. Good work. But I liked the original ending better-- the one where the dress was never worn again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to follow up on this... A family trivia detective never stops searching for clues.

    ReplyDelete