Thursday, June 12, 2014

Take That!

Tanchum, the water carrier, was returning home one evening when a stranger rushed up to him and slapped his face. 
"Take that, Meyer!" yelled the attacker.
Tanchum picked himself up from the street and stared at the man in amazement.  Suddenly, a broad grin spread over his face and then he laughed, uproariously.
"Meyer, what are you laughing at?" exclaimed the other.  "I just knocked you down."
"The joke is one you," chortled Tanchum.  "I'm not Meyer!" 
http://www.haruth.com/jhumor/

By now you may be asking yourself, what's so funny about a slap in the face?  My rabbinical answer to you is:  Everything.  A slap in the face is just funny.  Personally, the SJG has never slapped anyone.  But I see people getting slapped on TV and in movies, and it's always funny -- maybe because I'm not the one getting slapped.  The first lesson my Dad taught me, the one that sticks with me the most:  Funny is funny, no matter the circumstances.  I refer you to Tanchum.  Even the water carrier knows a slap in the face is funny, especially when it's meant for someone else.  In the long run, humor always takes the sting out of life's twisted punchline.  

No comments:

Post a Comment