Sunday, March 8, 2015

Act Surprised

A very silly Stu Brower, hubby and me,
wearing very silly party beads.

Last night at the surprise party, we debated whether the guest of honor looked even the slightest bit surprised when he walked in the door. Actually, it wasn't much of a debate. We all agreed he looked like he was faking surprise, which is hard for most humans. Unless you're a graduate of the Royal Academy of Acting Surprised, it's nearly an impossible feat. And so, as the birthday boychick, a spry 50-year-old, table hopped, we forced him onto the witness stand and cross examined him at length. "Were you, or were you not, surprised?" He swore on a stack of menus that of course he was surprised. Then he began to waffle a wee bit. Not "oh my God, you got me!" surprised. Not "I had no idea you loved me this much!" surprised. But more along the lines of, "I thought something was up, but I wasn't sure" surprised. In other words, he was acting surprised. His wife looked pretty convinced he was surprised, which is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment