Friday, March 6, 2015

The Birth Of A Jewish Mother

Never loses its flavor.

Exactly when did the SJG become a Jewish Mother? It happened long before I gave birth. It happened at birth. My birth. From the moment I popped out, I wanted to know if everyone was okay, if anyone needed anything, if I could do something to help. My first complete sentence: "What's wrong?" When someone got hurt on the playground, I was the one hovering over the wounded and bleeding, asking the important questions. "Would it have killed you to wear a helmet and some knee pads? To walk, instead of run for once in your life?"At home, I was always in the kitchen, making tiny treats in the Easy Bake Oven, trying to spread a little joy and fatten up the family. I was the one waiting up for the parents to come home, and later, when they started driving, the brothers. I didn't just become a Jewish Mother. All the signs were there from the start.

Mother as coffee table. 
("Mother" by Judy Olausen)

No comments:

Post a Comment