Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Happy Yoga To You & Yours

Grandma Shorty, is that you?

My Russian grandma was many things. A funny storyteller. A matzoh ball soup-maker. A skilled Gin Rummy player. A Yoga teacher? Let's think about that. The only exercise I ever saw her do was pace with worry. Back and forth on the driveway she went, obsessing about this, that and everything else. "Where are they? Why aren't they here?" In this way, I'm very much her granddaughter. But yoga-wise, Grandma Shorty doing Downward Dog? It's hard to wrap my brain around. And yet, yesterday, the family historian (my brother John) sent me a snapshot of a program guide listing "Happy Yoga With Sarah Starr" on the schedule. "How did you get this?" I asked. "I'm not telling," John said. "Tell me!" "Make me." "You tapped into a program guide from Heaven, didn't you?" "Maybe." "Admit it." "Make me." I guess I'll never know how he procured this celestial intel. My brother works in mysterious ways. All I know is, the thought of my Russian grandma Sarah Starr teaching yoga in the Great Beyond, while dispensing her classic wisdom -- "Everything is old, including me" -- makes me smile. Wherever you are, Grandma Shorty, namaste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment