Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No Regrets

RIP Phoebe


Phoebe Snow, a shy Jewish gal (born Phoebe Ann Laub) often mistaken for black (the massive curls, the soulful voice) passed away on Tuesday.  The first time I heard her sing "Poetry Man" on a local jazz radio station (KKGO), it was 1974 and I fell hard. That voice!  I wanted everyone to know about her and finagled a free copy of her first album, wrote a review for the Warrior, the Uni High newspaper, and scored comp tickets to see her perform at the Roxie. (I brought future hubby).  Just the SJG getting things done.  Here is my all-time favorite, "No Regrets," recorded right off an actual album, complete with authentic crackles and everything.  Sends me right back to Lindbrook Drive... there I am, lying on the floor in my bedroom, listening to one of the greatest singers of all time. 

1 comment: