Sunday, December 18, 2011

I Hope This Comes In My Size

Stop smiling, you two.
Leave it to my friend Kiki Hoffman, a non-Jew who knows how to throw a swinging bar mitzvah, to find this matching set of dumb menorah pullovers.  Something knitted, with a Maccabee running around, would've brought tears of joy to my eyes, but these ugly schmattas are a good start.  I sure hope Kiki ordered me a small.  She knows how I hate to look bulky.  By the way, do the people in this photo know the true spelling of my favorite Christmas-adjacent festival?  It's Hanukkah, people.  Not Chanukah.  Why there are two spellings, I can't tell you, but I believe, with all my heart, that if we could come together on this matter, if we could all just spell it the same way, it would be a bigger miracle than the oil lasting eight nights.  There's only one way to spell Christmas. Why must we have so many variations?  Why must we complicate everything?  Sure, it's fun to disagree now and then, to argue for no reason, to stir things up for the sake of lively discussion.  Did I mention I married a national debate champion?  We have podiums set up in the living room in case an issue should arise.  But please, just this once,  let's agree.  Let's all spell Hanukkah the SJG way, and that includes the tacky sweatshirts.  

3 comments:

  1. Podiums in the living room. Hilarious. And a great idea. Someone alert Pottery Barn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry SJG (fka Carol)...Chanukah is spelled and transliterated perfectly in those sweatshirts. And what's this notion of [only] TWO spellings of this holiday? There are a million and I won't make the list here. You need the Ch spelling to remind people that is is guttural Ch pronunciation (the Hebrew letter Chet--not as in Huntley). SO CHAPPY CHANUKAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, EBR, I had a feeling you'd opine on this one. Can't I have it my way for once? Chappy Ch to you too!

    ReplyDelete