Thursday, December 15, 2011

Proof That I'm Old

I used to know stuff, but now I know less and less with each passing day.  Yesterday, I stared at the locked toilet seat at my friend's house and thought, okay, I may not have an engineering degree, but I can figure this out on my own.  Many moons ago, I lived in a baby-proofed home.  I dealt with latches.  I put strollers together.  But the locked toilet seat wasn't a latch situation.  It was M.I.T. complicated.  It had a thing you were supposed to push and slide and a lever and a secret government code to enter.  No baby, let alone grown up, was getting that toilet seat upright without some serious mental effort and a Ph.D. I tried several approaches, all of which failed.  I started to feel like that gal on the commercial, who's always, "Going and going and going..."  Another minute and I would be going on the floor. I gave up. and opened the bathroom door.  "Uh, I need a little help in here."  Soon I had more help than I needed.  Kelly, my writing partner, came in, followed by the babysitter and the babysitter's daughter, a recent law school grad.  What followed was a ten-minute discussion about baby proofing and how did we survive without it.  "Sorry to interrupt, but I'm going to have an accident," I said.  Finally, they joined together and liberated the toilet seat for usage.  "Okay, gang, thanks so much, I'll take it from here," I said, shoving them out the door.  Next time, I'm bringing a port-o-potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment