Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Still Learning After All These Years

So what have I been up to lately? I'm so glad you asked. A little bit of teaching -- myself and others. Turns out, there's a learning curve when it comes to teaching. As a lifelong student, you think you know what to do -- you've been watching others do it for centuries -- until you give it a shot. Within seconds you realize you don't know what the bleep you're doing, but, as my dance teacher loves to say, it's okay to "just fake it." In the role of volunteer writing teacher to a great group of senior citizens, I've been winging it, offering up advice, anecdotes, and of course, wonderful cookies. I can't remember my teachers ever bringing cookies to class. Imagine if I'd been able to munch on Tollhouse while learning algebra. I'd be a Math Goddess right now. I'm happy to report the cookies have been well-received. Although yesterday I did get a request for a healthy veggie plate. "I'm on it," I said. "Plus," a retired camera operator chimed in, "How about some of that kegel you keep yakking about?" "It's called kugel. No gold star for you. Go to the corner and get me some coffee." Yes, I'm learning so much. Like how to make sure everyone gets enough "me" time in class. I thought filling up two hours would be a struggle. But we tend to go past the two-hour mark and then get physically removed by management. "That's enough, you writers. Please leave. And next week, teacher gal, how about you bring us cookies, too? What are we, chopped liver?"  "What's your position on veggies?" "We're partial to jicama. And a little hummus wouldn't hurt." "Hummus, huh? Plain or garlic?" "How about both?" "You got it." Hmm. Sounds like I'm trying to please everyone on the premises. I'm perfect for this part. I've been preparing for it my entire life. Starting next week, I'll bring cookies, veggies, assorted hummus, a buzzer, a scoreboard, a mediator, an A-list director to yell, "Cut!" and an attorney.

1 comment: