Sunday, October 1, 2017

In The Backyard With Monty Hall


(Photo courtesy of Eric Schotz)
At a celebration of my dad's life nearly four years ago, the wonderful Monty Hall told us how my dad used to get the attention of the waitresses at Factor's. He'd call out, "Innkeeper!" My whole life, I never heard my dad call out, "Innkeeper!" in a restaurant. Complain that it was too cold, or that the service was slow, yes. Ask for more hot water for his tea? Always. But if Monty Hall said my dad called out, "Innkeeper!" it had to have been true. As soon as I heard Monty Hall passed away yesterday at the age of 96, I thought of my dad and how sad he would've been to know his good friend had died. Through tears he would've said what a mensch of all mensches Monty was, a philanthropist, a sweet guy, and how proud he was to know him.
Featured in "Lunch," Donna Kanter's documentary: Matty Simmons, back row from left, Budd Friedman, Gary Owens, John Rappaport and (my daddy) Ben Starr, and, front from left, Arthur Hiller, Sid Caesar, Rocky Kalish and Monty Hall gather for lunch at Factor's Famous Deli. 

Other than Matty, Budd and John, all of these nice men are gone. Here's hoping they've reunited at the Big Deli in the sky at a good table where it's not too drafty, and are swapping jokes and interrupting each other, as they were known to do. 

2 comments: