Friday, October 6, 2017

Superman Vs. The Hulk In Gelson's

You never know when something you read in AARP magazine might just come in handy. You might wind up dispensing important life-saving medical advice: "Step away from that toxic sugar cookie, it could kill you!" Or in my case you might find yourself embroiled in a heated debate over who's a better superhero: Superman or The Hulk? Normally, I'd have bupkis to say about this topic. Bupkis, I tell ya. But thanks to an AARP article a few years back ("Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero"), I landed in a spirited discussion in the coffee aisle of, where else, Gelson's.

The manager, the stock clerk and a nice nebbishy customer were going back and forth over the superpowers of the afore-mentioned comic book/TV/film superheroes, who've been reinvented 82 times at last count, and I just had to intervene. I had to. It's what I do. "Wow," I said, "you guys are really into this thing, aren't you?" "Afraid so," said the manager. "Well, not to generalize too much, but I don't think I've ever heard three women debating Superman vs. the Hulk." "Oh, I think you're wrong," said the customer. "Lots of women have opinions on this. Have you ever been to Comic-Con?" "No, thank God." "If you had to pick, would it be Superman or The Hulk?" he asked. I didn't even hesitate. "Superman, of course. He's Jewish." The customer gave me a fist bump, something I've never received in Gelson's or anywhere else for that matter. "Exactly." The manager grinned. "How do you know?" "I read it in AARP magazine."

No comments:

Post a Comment