Sunday, September 23, 2018

Doll Face

The "Gloria Ann" doll, circa 1936 (missing a button, navy blue gloves and shoes).  My mom's prized possession when she was nine.  She saved it, just in case she had a little girl of her own.
That would be me, circa 1958.  
Gloria June with Marv and Bob, circa I'm not sure. God forbid anyone in my family ever dated a photo. One thing I do know. My dad hadn't entered the picture yet.
Ah, here he is, wielding an axe in her general direction, on their wedding day in Chicago, December 1, 1949. The axe was clearly the idea of one of the writers in attendance.
The wacky comedy writers on the "Martin & Lewis" radio show who wouldn't leave my parents alone on their wedding day. That's Sheldon Leonard, a member of the ensemble cast, on the sofa next to his wife Frances.
In New York, 1951, always a snappy dresser. My dad, who called her Doll from the moment they got married, was writing for the "Jack Carter Show" at the time. 
June 4, 1921 - September 23, 1999 
Gone 19 years today. Miss you madly, Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment