Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Park With Caution

My wonderful Laughing At Lifers continue to teach me things. Yesterday, Cuban-born Nury concluded a passionate anti-Daylight Savings Time rant with a brief yet meaningful glimpse at the following: What if we really could go back or forward in time? For her, it wasn't much of a debate. She'd rather go back in time 80 years and start over, than jump ahead: "As for the future," she said, "I have no plans... other than to wait for when my time comes and God allows me to put my car into his eternal garage."
The look around the table: "What now?" None of us had ever heard this expression, but we instantly loved it so much.
"Did you make that up? It's brilliant," I said.
"Put the car in the garage?"
"Yes."
"I didn't make it up. In Cuba, we say it all the time."
"Can you say it for us in Spanish?"
"Poner el carro en el garaje."
"Do you say it when someone dies?"
"Yes. We say, oh, he put the car in the garage."
"So, it's like saying he kicked the bucket. Bought the farm?"
"Yes."
"Does street parking count?"
"No."
"I know where I'm parking tonight."
"The car can stay. You, on the other hand, aren't on the list."

No comments:

Post a Comment