Wednesday, November 7, 2018

When Dog Meets Apple

"Is this an apple which I see before me?"

Only moments ago, I turned off the endless political reportage, turned to Sir Blakey, the Royal Rescue Pup of Questionable Lineage, and asked, in a semi-triumphant manner, "Hey Blakey, how do you like them apples?" At which point I realized I have no idea whether Sir Blakey, part of the mishpocha for two years, likes or dislikes them afore-mentioned apples. So, I shoved a nice red juicy fruit in his punim and took the above photo because, let's face it, what else have I got to do on a post-election Wednesday? Rejoice? Reflect? Rinse & Repeat? Well, Sir Blakey gave the apple a lick and then stormed off after a zoftig squirrel he'd much rather munch on. All of which leads to another soul-searching question. Where does this expression, "How do you like them apples?" stem from? (See what I did there? Anyone?) Of course, I had to find out. I just got off the phone with my underpaid yet devoted peeps at the SJG Research Center For Advanced Silliness, and now I know and soon you'll know too and can tell the people who are still talking to you, despite all those nonstop political rants you keep posting on social media. Heck, with what I'm about to impart, you might even win back some of the friends who've unfriended you. Chances aren't good, but it's worth a shot.
A "toffee apple." Very bad for the teeth. 

During WWI, an anti-tank grenade was referred to as a "toffee apple." But that's not all. In "Rio Bravo," starring John Wayne, when a character launches a "toffee apple" at the enemy lines, he says, "How do like them apples?" In other words, the SJG, a lifelong pacifist, has been making war references. Unknowingly! For years and years. So. How do you like them apples? 

No comments:

Post a Comment