Monday, July 1, 2019

That Time I Met Allen Ginsberg

In April, 1976, poet Allen Ginsberg, post-Rolling Thunder Revue, popped into the UCLA Daily Bruin, demanding to meet the 18-year-old version of the Short Jewish Gal and talk about his appearance at the Buddhist festival on campus that evening. Well, when a famous beat poet and close friend of your all-time idol Bob Dylan asks to see you, or fine, maybe your editor tells you, "Hey, go in the back and interview Ginsberg," you oblige. I had no memory that my friend Frank joined me for this crazy ride until I tracked down a notebook full of my early journalistic efforts.
I'd just watched the Scorsese documentary on Netflix, full of truths, half-truths and assorted keppy-scratching pranks, and wanted to relive one of my favorite celeb interviews. 
The surrealistic encounter came rushing back to me, Ginsburg in his tattered jeans, flowered tie and skeleton beads, sitting on the arm of a beat-up leather sofa, holding court...
 
... his good buddy Wavy Gravy of "Woodstock" fame (and future inspiration for Ben & Jerry's caramel and cashew Brazil nut ice cream) camped out in the corner, also part of the Buddhist event. During the rambling interview, Ginsberg explained his philosophies on Zen, writing and drugs, and explained the absence of his iconic beard: "Ronnie Blakey shaved my beard when she was drunk one night while we were on the Rolling Thunder Revue."
Dylan and Ginsberg backstage during the Rolling Thunder Revue 

Visiting the grave of Jack Kerouac

As the interview came to a close, Ginsberg shared future plans that included "sitting, teaching, taking a Buddhist retreat and getting laid." His final thought: "There is no Allen Ginsburg to cling to." 

No comments:

Post a Comment