Friday, July 5, 2019

Up The Ladder To The Roof

Pre-earthquake on the 4th of July, longtime hubby went up on the roof. This going up on the roof thing wasn't part of our wedding vows. There was no rabbinical query, "And do you, Howie, promise to go up on the roof when things need fixing?" "I do." "And do you, Carol Sue, promise to hold the ladder?" "I do." Yeah, there was none of that. When we got married, the roof was an apartment owner's concern, not ours. The roof never entered into the equation. But ever since we started paying mortgage toward roof ownership, this cute guy I married loves to go up on the roof. It used to be about cleaning the gutters. Now it's about the solar panels. This cute guy I married simply loves a clean solar power nearly as much as he loves a clean car. But yesterday's up the ladder mission was leak-related. Our solar heated pool? Oh dear God, a panel has a tiny microscopic leak. Listen, there are people who can fix these things. I refer to them as Trained Professionals. But longtime hubby's philosophy is, "Why pay them when I can fix it myself?" Yesterday's mission, minutes before the 6.4 shaker, failed. So why not try it again today, when chances of an aftershock are strong? "I'll be fine." "I don't like it." "It's fine." "Can I hold the ladder?" "If it makes you happy." Maybe it's not too late to put it in the vows, 39 years later.
You go up on the roof. I'll hold the ladder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment