Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Girl From Ipanema

Young love: João and Astrud Gilberto

If you're anything like me, a bossa nova-loving kinda gal, you've listened to "The Girl From Ipanema" while dancing and swaying throughout your homestead, at least 42 times since finding out about the death of Brazilian guitarist João Gilberto, who, along with then-wife Astrud and Stan Getz, turned "Ipanema" into a classic. So many wonderful versions exist, from Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, to Sergio Mendes and Amy Winehouse, but the 1964 recording remains my personal favorite. Sure, I may be a short gal from Sherman Oaks, but when I listen, I'm transported to a faraway beach, and just like that, I'm tall and tan, and young and lovely...
 ... Just like Heloísa Pineheiro, the Rio gal who inspired the song. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment