Thursday, June 14, 2012

What's Not To Like?

The late Hal Kanter and daughter Donna, director of "Lunch"
There's a show off Broadway called "Old Jews Telling Jokes," based on a popular website.  Last night, I only had to go to over the hill to the Writers Guild to hear some old Jews telling jokes.  You know how the SJG doesn't like to schelp, but when it comes to my dad, I'm more than happy to go anywhere, even if it's geographically undesirable, even if it means getting stuck in front of the Beverly Center for longer than it took me to deliver my first born.  There was free parking and deli, so that helped. And, for the second time, I got to see the wonderful documentary Donna Kanter made about old Jewish comedy writers eating lunch.  After "Lunch," came the so-called panel discussion, which was more of a non-stop interruption.  My dad was in the middle of a story when Rocky Kalish, a former boxer, cut him off mid-joke.  Then Monty Hall said a few things, and so did Arthur Hiller.  Matty Simmons, who produced "Animal House," and John Rappaport ("Mash") refereed. Back and forth it went.  My dad told his favorite "Mr. Ed" story, about going up to the famous horse, between takes, and saying, "Hi Ed, it's me, Ben.  Say something.  I know you can talk." A lovely evening among legends.  Then I went back to Sherman Oaks, where a couple middle-aged Jews reside.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the joke that Director Arthur Hiller ("Love Story") told ...

    A woman walking on the beach with her young son is horrified when he's swept out to sea by a giant wave. She prays "Dear God please bring my son back to me." Suddenly another wave crashes and her son is returned. She looks to heaven and says "He had a hat."

    ReplyDelete