Monday, December 12, 2016

Waitress, Studio City Edition

It's true, the SJG has never been a waitress. I think they passed a law back in the '70s. "Never allow this short silly person to carry a hot plate in the vicinity of customers." So fine. I never waited on people, professionally. Hang on, that's not true. I've spent my entire career waiting on people. Waiting for them to decide things that will help me, professionally. But that's not what this blog is about today. It's about Trish, the delightful waitress Albert and I encountered at a Studio City cafe. She's of the chatty variety, a gal who simply loves her job. Well, it filled me with holiday joy. It did!
"What sign are you?" Trish asked us, as opposed to, "What would you like to order?" It's probably my fault. I told her we were celebrating Albert's birthday. Yeah, I got the ball rolling.
"Capricorn," I said.
"Scorpio," Albert said. I've known him since 2nd grade. This is the first mention of his astrological sign. And most likely, the last.
"I'm a Sagittarius," Trish said. "My boyfriend is a Virgo. He's so adorably judgy. I just love it."
"Really?" I asked.
"I just think it's so cute the way he looks at me and rolls his eyes."
Here Albert and I looked at each other. Cute and judgy don't often go together.
"Let's check back in a few years," I said. "You might not find the whole judgy thing so adorable then."
Trish smiled. "Oh, I doubt it. I think he's great."
Oy, to be young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment