Friday, February 15, 2019

The First Time

SJG: Late bloomer
The SJG was a late bloomer.  I didn't do it till senior year of college.  Even though everyone else had already done it, I wasn't in any rush.  I figured, I'll do it when I want to do it, and not a second before.  But finally, the big day came when I couldn't live with myself anymore.  I knew if I ever wanted to get anywhere in life, it was time to break down and do it, get it over with, bite the bullet, insert your favorite cliche.  Future hubby was so patient with me, too.  He never pressured me.  He said, "When you're ready, I know a guy in Culver City, my dad's cousin.  He'll give you a good deal."  And so, off we went to C.C., with my hard-earned cash, the accumulation of baby-sitting gigs and numerous part-time stints at College Book Store in Westwood.  After walking to UCLA for two years, spending a year abroad, and biking everywhere till my thighs deserved their own flag; after bumming rides, taking the bus and borrowing my mother's tank and denting it more than once, it was time to buy my first car, forever referred to as the crappy tin can that couldn't go over 50 mph without overheating.  But I loved it so, that white Datsun, small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.  I loved it with all my heart and soul, even though it cost me a bundle to keep it running.  You always love your first one.  You forgive all the shortcomings.  You forget the bad stuff.  Like the way the gaskets blew and the windshield clouded up when it rained, making visibility nil.  And you treasure your last time with your first one, how smoke engulfed it, entirely, as you drove it, slower than slow, down Santa Monica Blvd. to its final resting place.  The mechanic wanted it, flaws and it.  He wanted to buy it, restore and call it his own.  Crazy romantic.  I couldn't deny him such joy.  By nature, I'm a giver.  It's true.  No matter how many cars you own or lease, damage or resell, you never forget your first car.  I know I didn't. So tell me, what was yours like?

11 comments:

  1. You are a giver. My first was a yellow VW Beetle, my senior year in high school. My parents agreed to it (and to co-sign the loan) only because my mom was sick of loaning me her station wagon for carpool and play practice. (She had 4 other kids!) The first night I had it, I drove it to my boyfriend's house with my best friend. We were puttering up a huge hill and the car wouldn't go over 20 mph. "I bought a LEMON! It's a LEMON!" I screamed. Then, we smelled burning rubber. Horrible! I hadn't released the emergency brake for ten miles. After that, it was total bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv it! Luv it! You're a giver. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1970 used Chevy Nova I called "Bob".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a Datsun, a blue one that went from 0-60 in a mere 10 minutes. I practically had to push it over the hill when I drove to West LA from the valley, when I was in grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't remember mine. Like most everything else in my past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sixteen, never been kissed... Spent $200 for a 1950 Chevy Coupe,up on blocks because the kid who was "fixing it up" never returned from Vietnam,but before he left he added chrome to the straight six engine, added baby moon hubcaps added hood clips, tore out the back seat and inserted a mattress, tore out the front seats and added Triumph bucket seats mounted on a 2" x 6" wooden frame. I painted it Porsche Green for $29.95 and drove it to the Auto Club for insurance. Entering the lot, I learned the shocks weren't so good and when I bounced hard the horn started blaring. Wouldn't stop until I turned off the ingition... literally the adjuster said as he sauntered up, "Horn works, try the lights." Drove from Pasadena to the Grandparents in Newport Beach... wouldn't go over 51 mph, popped out of geat on the 605... surface streets back home. Literally the next day, my brother, who is three years my younger, pulled out the hood clips to show a friend the chrome engine... then left. I backed out of the driveway, floored it, and wrapped the hood inside out,over the roof, broke the through the windows (in 50 chevy had two front windows split in the middle). After Auto Club paid for repairs, I traded the car in on an almost-new Simca, baby blue, engine in rear. Six months later a Chrysler turned left over the front of the car... second insurance claim and I ended up in a 1967 Royal blue Bug, added chrome here and there and loved that car all through college 'til I sold it to my younger brother who rolled it into a cow pasture near Diamond Bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my first was a 1968 Dodge Dart. It was GREAT. "The Bomber" or "The Narc Car". powerful and reliable. Then I got the Honda CVCC tin can. I tried not to call it "tin can" or "death machine" but it was hard.

    don't forget the mint green pinto!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first car? Now, remember this is in the UK in the early 70's, was a blue Fiat 500. The year before I came to Canada, I traded it in for a Citroen Dyane with a 600cc engine. My Canadian Sweetie drove an Olds Cutlass 442 which scared the bejeezus out of me. We traded it for a VW Bug! Happy memories SJG - Brighton Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brighton Gal, I never had the courage to drive when I lived in Brighton. Your first car sounds sweet. My first was always on the verge of exploding, which made life exciting. Clearly, I like to live on the edge xo

    ReplyDelete