Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Mysterious Wall Extension

La mystérieuse extension murale 

Hurray, the apartment hunt for the young marrieds c'est fini. Even better, the spacious tri-level townhouse they found themselves is only two minutes from the SJG. Two. Minutes. You wait long enough, and all the enabling pays off. I couldn't be happier. Of course, every rental place has a design challenge, and this one comes with what I like to call "the mysterious wall hump" (or extension, if you prefer) in the master bedroom. Between us, I may be exaggerating slightly. It's not all that mysterious. It's meant for a TV.

Un autre angle

The mystery is what they'll do with this thing jutting out of the wall, instead. Chloé feels strongly that a TV is a no-no in the bedroom. This in itself is a foreign concept to me. I'm very attached to our TV in the bedroom. It lulls me to sleep at night and wakes me up in the morning. Without a TV in the bedroom, who am I? But, as longtime hubby keeps reminding me, my opinion on this critical matter matters not. Well, I never!

To be or not to be a TV stand? That is the question.

Like that's going to stop me from trying to solve this architectural flaw. I've already turned to Carla, a gal with a fabulous sense of interior (and exterior) design, for ideas. It took her half a second to come up with this gem: "Perhaps a little stage. Calls for a Shakespearean soliloquy. I like the thought of Billy in tights." "I love it. I was thinking they turn it into a shrine to moi, the wonderful woman who raised him to be such a mensch. I'm seeing enlarged photos, kugel, a platter of bagels and lox. Sort of a combo buffet area and nostalgic dedication zone." "I like my idea better," Carla said. I don't blame her. It's pretty great.

Here's where you weigh in with your ideas for the mysterious wall hump/extension. I'm dying to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment