Sunday, February 17, 2019

That Time I Interviewed Jackie O's Sister


To be honest, I hadn't thought about her in years, but when her name popped up in the news -- "Lee Radziwill, the younger sister of Jackie Kennedy Onassis, dies at 85" -- I went back in time to the early '80s, when I was editor of the illustrious (albeit bankrupt) Century City News. The publisher, an adorable gonif who spent a lot of time darting creditors, informed me I'd be interviewing the former princess, as part of some ad exchange with a ritzy new condo complex that had just opened in Century City. Lee Radziwill, socialite, fashion maven and symbol of East Coast chic, had created the premiere model home, showcasing her interior design skills. 
Of course, the SJG, daughter-in-law of an adventurous decorator, was the perfect choice for the interview. I could talk swatches and paint chips, imported rugs and pricey tchotchkes with this glamorous icon. She only had time for a phone interview, and I can't tell you if we discussed anything of real substance, other than the beauty she wanted to capture, the sunlight, the Southern California color palette, the essence of condo living. I do remember all the questions I was dying to ask her but couldn't. "Tell me about JFK. Tell me about your big sis. Tell me about Andy Warhol, Truman Capote, Rudolf Nureyev. Tell me something about high society that you've never told anyone." But the sound of her breathy, Jackiesque voice has stayed with me. It's not every day you get to chat interior design with the famous symbol of an enchanting, bygone era. I'm so glad I had the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment