Saturday, June 18, 2011

Jewish Father's Day

The classic joke about Jewish fathers:  A young boy returns from school and tells his mother, "I got the part of the Jewish father in the school play." The mother says, "Oh, I'm so sorry, maybe next year you'll get a speaking part."  I don't know what Jewish father this joke refers to -- certainly not mine or my father-in-law, two Brooklyn Jews who've always had plenty to say, in varying volumes, low not being one of them.  Sports, politics, child-rearing.  Name a topic, they have something to offer.  The implication that Jewish mothers are so loud and opinionated, the fathers never get heard, doesn't ring true in my universe of equal opportunity yelling.  What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I heard that one with just a husband (generic). I think that's a funnier one coz I agree with you - I don't have that experience about Jewish fathers.

    ReplyDelete