Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Semi-Celeb Sighting

Peggi Blu:  Not as scary in person
You never know when your next celeb encounter might unfold, otherwise, you might dress differently for the occasion.  The SJG tends to be a casual gal, always schlepping around, sans makeup, in my faded gym things and worn-out tennies.  In this way, I stay under the radar and am never mistaken for someone who lives on the more fashionable side of town.  In my everyday schlep-wear, I've stumbled upon O.J. Simpson and Robert Blake and had the same icky reaction both times, an urge to run screaming out the door.  Yesterday's semi-celeb encounter took place in Williams Sonoma, post-Boot Camp class.  As I stood there, my hair matted to my face with sweat, the store clerk started pointing and flashing a huge smile and said, "Peggi Blu!"  I looked to my right and sure enough, there she was, "American Idol's" famed Vocal Coach from Hell, who scared the crap out of contestants during Hollywood Week.  She was a yeller, a hurler of insults, a force to be reckoned with.  I looked over at Peggi Blu, turned red, started shaking and went,"Oh!"  I felt like I'd been caught.  Finally, someone was going to bust me for a lifetime of so-so singing in the shower and car and all those spontaneous guitar recitals in the family living room.  "Your performance of 'Both Sides Now' was painful.  Don't ever do that again."   Peggi Blu saw the look of "oh no" on my face and started laughing.  So I started laughing.  We just stood there and laughed, both of us in on the joke.  We never said a word, we just laughed.  Clearly, Peggi Blu's used to inspiring this sort of primal fear in public.  And she loves it.  Why wouldn't she?  She's got a reputation to uphold.  She's the Vocal Coach from Hell.  But just between us, in person, she seems like a really nice gal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment