Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Two A.M. Zigzag

When nature calls in the middle of the night, I try to send her straight to voicemail.  "You've reached the SJG.  I'm sleeping.  Go away.  Beep."  But nature is one persistent mother, and keeps calling till I pick up.  "What?! What is it?  What do you want?  I'm sleeping here." "Not anymore.  Get your butt out of bed."  "Oh, @#$% you, nature!" I say, before doing my 2 a.m. zigzag in the dark. I stumble into the bathroom, pretending I'm not awake.  I try not to open my eyes all the way, which never works. I run into things.  Doors, mainly.  By the time I tinkle, I'm awake, and I'm pissed off.  The SJG brain, a muddle of this, this and the other, starts oscillating on the worry cycle, and soon I'm what-iffing like a mad woman  Last night, my thoughts turned to Jennifer Aniston.  Has she finally found love?  Has she?  What if she hasn't?  What will she do?  By the time I got back in bed, I was in big-ass trouble, on to Weinergate, John Edwards, Sarah Palin and Paul Revere.  The SJG brain wouldn't shut up.  I started counting "Seinfeld" episodes -- the Elaine dance, the Master of Your Domain, They're real and they're fabulous -- got through season eight and I was still awake.  I started counting Carrie's boyfriends on "Sex in the City -- Big, Aidan, the Post-It guy, the French guy -- and I was still awake.  Half-way through "The Twilight Zone" recount -- Marsha, Marsha!  Next stop, Willoughby! -- I fell asleep.  If nature calls me again tonight, I'm out of town.

5 comments:

  1. there's nothing like the classics to get you through the wee wee small hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be happy you're not leaving leaving a "trail" en route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey, you make an excellent point. It could always be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought ZigZag was a noun, not a verb... bit disappointed with the rest of the article as a result... might not have needed to verb if you had earlier visited the noun before retiring for the night... not advocating, just musing.

    ReplyDelete