Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Best Line Ever

Last night, I was watching "Smash," a very silly show.  Fifteen minutes in, a cuckoo futz barged into the rehearsal room, demanding to see Uma Thurman.  Naturally, a very silly scuffle ensued!  And no one loves a very silly scuffle more than the SJG!  In the midst of the manufactured commotion, Angelica Huston, still channeling Morticia, grabbed her pepper spray, and yelled this: "Leave or I will temporarily blind you!" Well, for some reason, I found this hilarious.  I grabbed my beloved iPhone, and sent off an email to my brother John and cousin Andy, assuming they were watching the show at the same exact moment.  This is what technology does to you -- gives you a false sense of omnipotence.  Who cares!  I'll take it.  In my email, I said:  "Best line ever -- leave or I will temporarily blind you."  I didn't identify the show or the speaker, that's how bold and powerful I was feeling.  Apparently, I unleashed some confusion.  My cuzzy sent this, in reply:  "My favorite best line currently is from the trailer of The Avengers. Bad guy says, 'We have an army.'  Robert Downey says, "We have a Hulk.' Feel free to quote it."  Sure, that's a great line, I wrote back, "But it's not from the 'Smash!'"  Then my brother replied with something completely out of context:  "Sorry folks, but the best line ever would be Uncle Nathan's at Peter's Bar Mitzvah... 'Life is life.'"  I replied, "Sheesh!  I'm quoting 'Smash"! I didn't challenge him, as I often do, on his faulty memory.  But just between us, I'm 100 percent certain that Uncle Nathan's immortal line wasn't delivered at my brother Peter's Bar Mitzvah, when I was only eight.  I think Uncle Nathan said "Life is life" at my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary.  In any event, next time Angelica Huston says something very silly on "Smash," which will most likely happen in the next episode, I'm keeping it to myself.

7 comments:

  1. Speaking as someone who knows in my heart that I am rarely if ever wrong I reiterate that Uncle Nathan made his "Life is life" statement at our dear older Brother Peter's Bar Mitzvah in July 1965 (Grandparents 50th was May 1967). Since both galas were in the same ballroon at that fancy schmancy hotel (let's call it the Beverly Hills Hotel for clarification) I stand by my statement Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad says it was definitely not Peter's bar mitzvah! But he can't remember the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Nathan was Cousin Nathan, not Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, now children, you're both right. Brother-in-law Nathan only has one statement, which he repeats at every event, a traditional bromide inherited from Uncle Nathan, as memory serves. Now, would you let me get back to the SMASH episode I missed last night and am currently watching apparently just before some maniac blows his cameo by overacting and providing the manditory weakly "soap" moment to my favorite show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Uncle Steve, for clearing things up. You're a fine mediator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know Peter, or Nathan, But next time you hear a "line of the night" feel free to email. me.

    ReplyDelete