Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Just Dance

The one and only Doug Rivera and the SJG

"Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance."  ~Dave Barry  

Doug Rivera, my longtime dance teacher, pretty much has the same philosophy.  Showing up is all that matters.  Dancing well is secondary, having fun, mandatory.  Whether I mess up a step or my timing's off or I giggle my way through the class -- mainly because he's goading me with silly faces -- he's just happy I'm there.  He loves his students, even when we have two left feet.  He's an equal opportunity instructor who gives extra points for smiling.  Sometimes he says, "Let's form a company and take it on the road."  Sometimes he scats, "Um-bwow!" while demonstrating a routine.  He's been teaching a while now.  Over 50 years.  It's his calling in life, and we're his devoted followers.  He may be in his 70s, but he's still a kid at heart. 

1 comment: