Saturday, November 17, 2012

How Do You Sleep At Night?


What position do you sleep in at night?  That’s a little personal, don’t you think?  Not that it’s ever stopped me before.  The SJG will gladly reveal how I sleep – poorly – if you tell me how you sleep.  I’m a fetal sleeper/thinker.  I sleep curled up on my right side with knees tucked in.  According to a British study, this position is favored by worriers (big surprise!) and reveals a desire to return to my comfort zone after a stressful day. What else?  I’m so glad you asked.

Fetal/Thinker sleepers are: “conscientious, ordered and like things in their place, but are also in danger of over-thinking problems and worrying unnecessarily.”  Well, some of this is true.  The over-thinking and worrying, fo sho.  Ordered and liking things in their place?  Not if you look in the disaster zone of my closet, the nightmare of my office.  It’s Cluttered City.  I can’t find a thing in either location.  Then again, I did just set the table for Thanksgiving, so what does that say about me, other than I’m completely meshuggie?  You try squeezing 18 fressers around one table and get back to me. 
Other sleep positions include the “log”:  a straight body and limbs at the sides, which “shows a person is inflexible and rigid in thinking, set in their ways and stubborn. They may appear bossy to others, and so should aim to stretch themselves and embrace the challenges and excitement of a new day.”
Yearners; “sleeping with their arms stretched out in front as though they are chasing their dreams or being chased.  They want more from life and are willing to go out there and get it with both hands, eager to face the next day. They can be their own worst critics, expecting great results in everything they do and giving up quickly when things don’t go their way. Yearners should take care to go after what they really want and avoid wasting time pursuing whims that do not really leave them fulfilled.” 
Freefallers: sleeping face down with their arms outstretched.  (Or what hubby would call, “The SJG’s snoring position.”  “Often clutching their pillow, they can appear to be holding on for dear life in what is thought to be the most uncomfortable sleeping position for adults. Those who adopt it can feel as if life happens around them and they are just hanging on for the ride, believing they lack control over what will happen the next day. Freefallers can wake up feelings anxious, or believing they still have issues and tasks left over from the previous day.  They should aim to deal with things one step at a time, taking control of each day so they feel motivated to “be the boss of their own destiny.”
So, the SJG is mainly a fetal sleeper, with a little yearning and freefalling thrown in, just to mess me up and make me walk funny.  What kind of sleeper are you?  Don’t be shy.  We’re family.

No comments:

Post a Comment