Saturday, November 10, 2012

Nora's Last Meal

A hot dog from Nate n' Al's
Today I'll go to Nate n' Al's for breakfast, a deli worth schelpping to, and while I'm there, I'll think of Nora Ephron, who once said this on Charlie Rose: "When you are actually going to have your last meal, you'll either be too sick to have it or you aren't gonna know it's your last meal and you could squander it on something like a tuna melt and that would be ironic. So it's important ... I feel it's important to have that last meal today, tomorrow, soon."  So what did she want her last meal to be?  A hot dog from Nate n' Al's,
with some Gulden's mustard and some sauerkraut or relish. Why Nate 'n Al's? "It's the greatest hot dog."  I wish I could agree, but I'm not from the hot dog lovers.  My last meal would be a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese and lox from Nate n' Als.  I was raised on it.  I'd want to go out on it.
My last meal
In honor of Nora, I'll order my last meal today.  She'd want me to say, screw the calories, you only live once.  Unless you know something I don't.  In which case, please share, immediately. 

1 comment:

  1. Please don't write about Nate n' Al's when I can't be there.

    ReplyDelete