Wednesday, May 14, 2014

From Heisenberg to LBJ

Next time I pose backstage with a famous close personal friend, I'll make sure the flash is on.  You live and learn, or in my case, you unlearn the things you learned when you were young and paying attention.  Flash or no flash, here I am, the humble SJG, with the wonderful, Tony-nominated Bryan Cranston, after seeing him in "All The Way."  Bryan disappears into whatever role he's playing, from LBJ to Walter White, so I was relieved when the real Bryan came out to greet me (and 25 other close personal friends), even though he was still wearing his fake LBJ ears, which I found disturbing, and pointed out, immediately.
My family has known Bryan forever, long before fame tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Right this way, sir."  Bryan is married to the wonderful Robin Dearden.  My brother John met Robin at UCLA and then I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Right this way, you're my friend now, madam."  When Robin met Bryan, he was stuck with us, too.  This is the way it works in Hollywood. You never get rid of anyone. Of course, my dad liked to take credit for all of Bryan's success, mainly because he had absolutely nothing to do with it.  In case Bryan forgot who taught him everything, he'd send him a note every now and then, just to remind him where to send the check.  We're all so proud of Bryan, we don't even mind that he always forgets to mention at least one of us in his many acceptance speeches.
Robin and Bryan at the Met Gala last week.
They dress this way every day.                   

No comments:

Post a Comment