Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dream Interruption

"An interrupted dream is like a kick in the keppy." - SJG

This idea came to me in the middle of the night and I thought it was genius. This idea will make the SJG rich, rich, rich. I could hear Dan Aykroyd pitching it on SNL.  "New, from Ronco..." In the harsh morning light, however, I see that implementing this idea may be a little difficult.  This idea may require tiny electrodes embedded in my keppy. This idea may require backing from a giant Japanese electronics company.



I'm trying, trying, trying.

This idea may not be ready for prime time, not quite, anyway, but I'm inclined to share it with you, in case you'd like to jump on the bandwagon as an early investor. Nothing irks the SJG more than Dream Interruption (trademark pending). Dream Interruption happens when I flip over in bed and wake up, mid-dream. Dream Interruption happens when someone I'm married to wanders in, past midnight, because he's fallen asleep on the sofa (nightly occurrence). Dream Interruption happens when my bladder directs me toward the bathroom.

No matter the cause, I love my dreamworld, in which I'm the star, the hero, the gal in charge. In dreams, I can fly and sing well and perform miraculous feats and visit with loved ones no longer in the here and now. Sometimes my mother pops in to say hello, or my father, or my grandparents, or one of the wonderful close friends who checked out far too early from this overcrowded hotel.

"I had this crazy dream last night that I met the SJG." 
"What?! I had the same dream!"

I'm a huge fan of R.E.M. Last night, my dream took me to a hip, happening party. I was all dressed up, I was looking fine, I was... oh hell, right when the party was kicking into gear, I turned over and woke up. What happened at the party? Did I meet George Clooney? I'll never know. The not knowing is the worst. A great party like the one in my dream only comes along once a decade.

Just hit pause. 

But then this idea came to me: What if I could invent a special remote control to pause my dreams when necessary? What if I could turn over, reposition myself, tap the remote and I'd be right back in nocturnal bliss with (insert celebrity name here)? Wouldn't that be fantastic? Granted, it's a little derivative, a little like that Adam Sandler movie "Click," were he gets a universal remote and can rewind or fast-forward his life.

But I don't want any of that sci-fi nonsense. I just want to pause my dreams so I can get right back in there and see how they end. I want closure. Is that too much to ask? I plan to spend every waking moment making the Dream Remote (patent pending) a reality. Call me a dreamer, but I think I'm onto something.

No comments:

Post a Comment