Thursday, April 30, 2015

Nice Talking To You

"Hello?"
"Litaface, it's Daddy."
"Daddy Who?"
"Daddy, the man who almost delivered you in the car, but the doctors beat me to it."
"Oh, that Daddy. It's wonderful to hear your voice. I miss you so much, it hurts. How goes it up there?"
"It's not so much an 'up' there. It's more of a 'there, there.'"
"So, how is it there, there?"
"Fine. What's there to complain about? The worst has already happened."
"I see your point. So, what do you do all day?"
"There is no day. There is no night. It's endless."
"Wow. That's a lot of time to fill, Daddy. How do you keep busy?"
"Oh, you know. Read the New Yorker. Nap. In 92 years, I never had a good night's sleep. I'm still a little tired."
"So you read and nap. Sounds fun. Anything else?"
"Eat. The food at this hotel is five-star. The bagels are lighter than air, not to mention the matzoh balls. Plus, I can nosh on anything I want and never gain a pound."
"Sweet!"
"I've waited my whole life for this."
"I know! How's Mom?"
"Terrific. She's getting her hair done."
"Grandma and Grandpa?"
"They're playing Gin."
"Kisses to everyone."
"Kisses back. How are you, sweetie?"
"Good... I mean, considering."
"Considering what?"
"They cancelled 'Revenge.'"

Don't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment